A very warm welcome to my Intermediate English language course - English 401. Thank you for choosing me to be your English teacher (among the millions of teachers in the world).
In each lesson we will be working on developing your listening, speaking, reading and writing skills together with some vocabulary, pronunciation and/or grammar work. Each lesson will also have tasks that you will be sending to my email firstname.lastname@example.org or What's app +64211268243 (whichever is more convenient for you) and getting feedback on. I am very open to any suggestions and feedback so please get in touch if there are any questions. Please allow me a couple of days to check your homework.
Let’s get started.
Sample lesson. Today we will be talking about things that make you happy YAY. What is the first thing that comes to your mind when you think 'HAPPY"?
Task 1 (vocabulary + speaking): Weekend activities. Match the words in A to the words/phrases in B.
Now I am going to ask you some questions, please answer them in the pauses. Repeat this a couple of times.
Task 2 (reading + speaking): Read the beginning of the article about happiness. How did the scientists make their top ten list?
Look at these reasons for happiness. Put them in order from 1-10 (1= the most important).
Listen to my answers and compare our lists.
Now read the rest of the article. Compare the top ten list in the article with your list. Answer the questions below - then record your audio answers and send the file to me.
1. Are the reasons in the article true for people you know? Give examples if possible.
2. Do you disagree with anything in the article? If so, why?
3. Are there any other reasons for happiness that should be in the article?
Task 3 (listening + speaking): Look at the photos of Fiona, Maxie and Caroline. What makes them happy, do you think?
Listen and write two things that make each person happy.
Listen again. Answer these questions. Then record your audio answers and send the file to me.
1. How often does Fiona teach yoga classes?
2. What is Fiona's son doing at the moment?
3. What did Fiona do last Sunday?
4. How many songs has Maxie written?
5. What did he put on YouTube last month?
6. How many countries has he been to?
7. Who does Caroline go to art galleries with?
8. What makes her husband happy?
9. Who visits them most weekends?
Task 4 (grammar): Match questions 1-4 from the previous task to these verb forms
Present Simple Past Simple
Present Continuous Present Perfect Simple
Write question 2-4 in the table:
Fill in the gaps in these questions with do, are, have, did or - (no auxiliary):
1. Whereabouts __do__ you live?
2. How long _____ you lived there?
3. Who ______lives with you?
4. What time _____you get up on Sundays?
5. Why _____ you studying English?
6. Where _____ you go on holiday last year?
7. How many countries ______ you visited?
8. Who _____emails you the most?
9. What _____ you do yesterday evening?
10. What ______you planning to do next weekend?
Email these sentences to me to check and ask any questions you might have!
Task 5 (writing): write a short email to your friend sharing a thing that made you happy last (a book you've read, a movie you've watched, a thing you've bought etc). Email me your piece of writing for a check.
Bonus task (enjoyment): As you've worked so hard listen to the most famous Happy song on planet Earth and enjoy!
OK - one last thing before we all go - I've given you here quite a lot of work to do just so that those who want an intensive course have enough material to work with and a good value for money. Don't feel like you have to do each and every task - I know we all have busy lives - kids, jobs, husbands, other hobbies. So don't feel bad about not doing all of the tasks- do whatever you can at your own pace, and even if you do a bit regularly you will see improvement in your English.
Now, well done, this is the end of the sample lesson.